Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Comedy Week List- Funniest Films Ever Made

It is Comedy Week at Trespass and I asked the film section and some fantastic contributors the question- What is the funniest film ever made- then inexpliciable gave them 3 picks plus many honourable mentions.

Here are my picks




Withnail & I
(Bruce Robinson, 1987)

This cult British film is easily one of my favourite films of all-time. Starring teetotaller Richard E. Grant and Paul McGann as two out-of-work and permanently drunk actors the film spawned an accompanying drinking game that is deadly if played properly. Hilarious for almost its entirety the film has a rather poignant ending, (just the way us Brits like our comedies, slightly depressing). With unforgettable supporting roles from Richard Griffiths and Ralph Brown, this film is jam-packed with endlessly repeatable lines “We want the finest wines available to humanity. We want them here, and we want them now!”


¡Three Amigos!
(John Landis, 1986)

Strangely I don’t find Steve Martin, Chevy Chase or Martin Short particularly funny individually, but as a trio they make perfect comedic sense. This is a film I watched repeatedly as a child and it taught me one of my favourite words- plethora as well as starting an (unsatisfied) obsession with piƱatas. There are so many brilliant scenes in this film, about has-been silent movie actors who get hired to save a small Mexican village from the evil El Guapo, but if my arm is twisted would have to name ‘My Little Buttercup’ as my favourite.


Superbad
(Greg Mottola, 2007)

Superbad, starring Michael Cera and Jonah Hill, is undoubtedly the best film in the recent rise of the bromance comedies. Yes it is juvenile, with extended dick jokes and a plot based around getting laid, but it’s also kind of a sweet buddy film. While my honourable mentions list is made up of far superior films, none make me laugh out loud as much as this one.


Honourable mentions
:
In the Loop (Armando Iannucci, 2009), The Life of Brian (Terry Jones, 1979), Zoolander (Ben Stiller, 2001), This is Spinal Tap (Rob Reiner, 1984), The Big Lebowski (The Coen Brothers, 1998), The Golden Child (Michael Ritchie, 1986)

Read the full list at Trespass