Monday, June 29, 2009

Disgrace and In The Loop-Films from SFF


Thick of it is a brilliant British TV show; funny, clever, ruthless, and truthful enough that you have to worry. I saw the film version, In the Loop at the Sydney Film Festival and thankfully it lives up to the TV series. Taking the film Trans-Atlantic was a good move, and allowed for the incorporation of some great American actors. Haven't seen Anna Chlumsky in a film since My Girl 2, but she is surprisingly good. No-one does insulting quite like Armando Iannucci and his screenwriters- the dialogue is sublimely rude. Have to go back and re-watch TV series now.


image


Also saw Disgrace quite early on in the festival. Not an easy one to watch- but Australian director Steve Jacobs has done a great job examining the uneasy realities of Post-Apartheid South Africa. Jessica Haines is absolutely brilliant as Lucy, and was the stand-out performance for me in the film. Again this is another one where I want to go back to the source material- sadly I haven't read Coetzee's award-winning novel, however this is easily rectified


Click Here to head over to Onya to read my full reviews